#4 AMA | 带你玩转 POAP

This is being considered.

We donated all profits made from auctions to the ethereum communities

Up until now POAP has been self funded. Meaning that we used our personal money to cover all costs. There are ideas about raising funds formally.

So as explained on the prior question, the initial idea was to build a fun dapp to showcase that the tech was useful. That Ethereum was a network and protocol that made a lot of sense.
After defi summer in mid 2020, Ethereum had so much activity that we weren’t longer necessary to showcase that Ethereum was useful technology but we kept growing because the product adoption was increasing. At the end of 2020 we decided that we were going to change the focus, not just trying a tech showcase dapp but also the best protocol for the issuance of digital collectibles.

The desire of making Web3 adopted at global scale is one of the main driving forces that keep us going.

There are plenty of challenges in all fronts. Scaling the tech, the team are really tough ones. For example at a point we had to block the whole region of china because of attacks.

1赞

It’s a crazy story. I always had a deep passion for collecting stuff. When I was a child I used to have a very nice collection of fruit stickers. Then as a teenager I had the best collection of subway cards of my country (Argentina). To build the best collection of subway cards in Argentina I spent days and night browsing thru garbage bins and sorting them. At a point I had over a million of perfectly sorted subway cards. Look on the internet for “subtepass argentina” to understand more about them.
So that’s from one side. I was a collector.

Then in 2018 I was with a group of friends and we decided that we wanted to build a Dapp that really needed Ethereum. In 2018 the markets for ETH were depressed. Bitcoin price was recovering but ETH price was bleeding. The media outlets and several communities were pushing the narrative that bitcoin was the king and that ETH wasn’t useful and only worked for scamming people with ICOs.
They had a good point. It was true that Ethereum wasn’t being used for anything. There were no dapps that had more than a handful of users. Also it was common that some communities made fun of projects that raised capital thru ICOs early on (Digix, Golem, Status, etc) and weren’t delivering anything that had the least adoptions. It was like some protocols had less than one user per million of dollars they raised.

So with this group of friends we decided that we wanted to build a DAPP for showcasing the world that Ethereum was useful tech, that could be used to create experiences that otherwise wouldn’t have been possible.

We wanted this dapp (we didn’t know it was going to be POAP at the time) to fit 3 fundamental qualities: 1) it had to have authentic product-market fit. We wanted the users the adopt the application out of real interest, and not because they were offered financial incentives or because they could make money out of it.

1. We wanted the application to fundamentally need a blockchain. At that time (2018) there were many applications that were just the counterpart of web2 applications but just on the blockchain. We believe that only applications that needed a blockchain should be on the blockchain.

2. we wanted it to be legally compliant at global scale. Meaning that it should be used to facilitate criminal activities or to evade regulations.

So shortly after we came up with the idea of POAP that very well fitted this 3 conditions.

we knew it was going to have authentic product market fit because people love to collect digital items. Foursquare was a very popular social networks that used to so something very similar to POAP around year 2010…. They had priorly validated the idea that digital collectibles are something people genuinely want.
2) In 2018 people already knew that you can’t trust your personal data to tech companies. The idea of self custodied assets that Bitcoin invented could be applied to different digital assets and that can only be easily done with a blockchain. So POAP would be like foursquare but the assets are only yours !
Also Foursquare collectors were seriously let down and disappointed when Foursquare pivoted to a different business and they kinda lost their collectors of 1000s of digital stickers.
It has happened many times that tech giants kill products that people love. Microsoft killed MSN Messenger, Yahoo has killed Geocities, Yahoo Answers, Flicker and others…. Google has killed google talk, google reader and there’s even a website called Google Graveyard that tracks properties that google kill without caring about their communities.

POAP needed to be a system for people to have their shelf of digital collectibles with the certainty that because they are NFTs, they belong to them and nobody else.

1. POAP wants to always remain on the side of what’s right and never mess with the law, so we don’t endorse any ilegal use of blockchains. Even these days in 2021 we don’t have many applications that aren’t ilegal in many places. Almost everything on defi is based on regulatory arbitrage.

明白

请问一下:新的NFT 交易平台 Shoyu 会是独立的吗?如果是,是否会另外发行平台币?
Can you tell me: will the new NFT trading platform Shoyu be independent? If so, will a separate platform coin be issued?

This is certainly a challenge and we don’t have a clear stance. We definitely condemn abusive behavior like using botnets to harvest many POAPs and we don’t want that to happen.
At the same time, it’s the responsibility of the issuers of the POAPs (the event organizers, not us) to enforce proper methods of delivery that don’t allow harvesting/farming.

Long story short: we are still working on this issue. We don’t know exactly what’s the best we can do.

Yes, twitter verification.is being actively considered.

Yes, we would like to have a closer connection with the Chinese community. It’s just too hard to understand for us. Hopefully we will better in the future.

This was considered many times but at the end of the day we don’t want people to have to part ways with their collectibles.

POAP is an open platform, we do monitor raffle events, but we are also out of resources, if you see something not right, please report to us

Will do

Yes! Actually POAP is already on BSC, we just don’t use because of the high gas costs. Polygon and others are under construction by us.

Probably not. We changed the plans after the cryptocurrency markets got heated earlier this year. We are sorry for not keeping our promise.

Communication is a weak point of us, specially across cultures. We need to do better.

Thank you.

如果出现竞品,你会怎么对待?
翻译: 我们想成为NFT收藏的龙头, 这样其他人就不会觉得成为我们的竞争对手是合理的。

Will each of the donations to POP on gitcoin get airdrops?

POAP是开放平台, 任何人都可以使用. 我们有监视抽奖活动, 但我们斌没有足够的人手, 请在发行类似事情后及时联系我们